It might surprise you to learn (or maybe it won’t!) that some first-time puppy owners are shocked to find the sweet, soft, puppy-breathed angel they thought they were bringing home actually seems to be a (tiny) marauding Tyrannosaurus rex, intent on destruction and mayhem.
OK, perhaps that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but puppies often present their new owners with unexpected challenges. Here are a few things that, as a new puppy owner, you might find surprising.
1. Your puppy might try to eat anything in his path.
Puppies can be indiscriminate eaters, chowing down on items ranging from their puppy food to holiday decorations to a tissue to a live cricket. Some items are relatively harmless, but others, like hot dog skewers and lightbulbs, can cause severe intestinal damage. And even items that might not seem quite so scary at a glance, like certain household plants or cleaning products, can pose major threats. It’s important to puppy-proof your home, and whenever you’re unable to supervise your pooch, keep him in a sequestered puppy-safe area (and consider crate training!) to help ensure your little darling can’t ingest anything that could possibly harm him.
And you must be diligent when outside of the house as well. Garages, backyards, sidewalks and even dog parks can be home to plenty of harmful substances, trash and other goodies your little baby dog (or any dog for that matter!) should not be eating.
2. They go potty. A lot.
Most new owners understand that a puppy requires more trips outdoors than adult dogs do in order to avoid lots of little puddles, but you might not realize that a puppy doesn’t have great sphincter control at this early stage. So keeping all the poop off your floor requires plenty of trips out the door.
Puppies, while they are potty training, will need to go outside first thing in the morning, before they go to bed and also within 15 minutes of eating, drinking, playing, exercising or waking up from a nap. Depending on where they are during the potty-training process, they may also need to go outside during the night.
3. Puppies like routine, even if you don’t.
While establishing a routine requires some short-term effort, especially for families who didn’t adhere to a schedule in their pre-puppy days, it will pay off over the long haul for everyone. Puppies do best when they know what’s expected of them, and a simple routine will help them feel confident and secure about the household rules. Routines also make life a lot less hectic for your whole family!
4. Puppies like to chew on things. Lots of things, actually.
Just like babies, puppies go through a teething phase, which can be every bit as uncomfortable and painful for the dog as it is for a human, and chewing helps dull the pain. The best way to help keep your favorite items (and your new dog) safe is by removing them from your puppy’s reach. You can also redirect your puppy from chewing something he shouldn’t by offering him something that he can gnaw on, like an appropriate toy meant for this purpose or an edible chew. But be prepared. Chewing is going to happen.
5. Puppies come with emotional swings… for the parents.
As a new puppy parent, you’ll have moments when you’re wildly upset because your dog has just destroyed your favorite shoe (and, no, you shouldn’t have left it out, but that doesn’t help you feel better in the moment, does it?), and then a moment later, you’ll look into his big eyes and forgive him completely, and find yourself swept up in how much love you feel for the little creature — destructive though he might be. Talk about a mood swing!
It can be hard to reconcile how much love and tenderness you can feel one moment but yet how much frustration you can feel the next when it comes to your sweet little ball of fluff. Ups and downs are part of the relationship — but it’s important to remain consistent in your interactions with your puppy. Vetstreet trainer Mikkel Becker says, “Reward your puppy for the behaviors you want while redirecting him away from or managing the situation to prevent unwanted behavior.” Try not to let your emotions get the best of you when teaching your dog how you want him to behave. Calm interactions will have a greater positive effect on your puppy than angry ones.
6. A puppy’s teeth are sharp. Like, really sharp.
They might be tiny, but those teeth don’t feel so small when they latch onto your finger while you’re playing. But know that those little razor-sharp teeth are short-lived, as puppies begin to lose their sharp baby teeth at about 4 months. That might not be much comfort when those 28 little canine teeth are nipping at your hand, but at least there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. In the meantime, remember what we said earlier about finding appropriate things for your puppy to chew on? You’re gonna want to get on that.
7. Getting a puppy can be a major lifestyle adjustment.
A puppy requires more hands-on care than you might expect. Keeping your puppy healthy and happy might mean skipping happy hour to let him out or missing out on a weekend trip entirely because you don’t have a pet sitter. Yes, puppies are a lot of work, but investing time and energy into your puppy in his younger, formative years will go a long way in helping him be a good, polite member of your family as he grows bigger and older.
From eating habits to sharp teeth, puppies can certainly provide their new owners with unexpected challenges, all the while burrowing themselves into our homes and hearts. But the puppy phase goes quickly, and someday you just might find yourself looking back on it wistfully! Or… maybe you’ll just cherish the adorable pictures and be all the more thankful once your dog has outgrown that stage.
More on Vetstreet:
AmazonBasics Pet Training and Puppy Pads, Regular - 100-Count
- Each pad measures 22x22 inches (LxW), with the center pad measuring 19x19 inches (LxW). The pad has a 1.5 inch plastic border on all sides to prevent overflow.
- Super-absorbent core that turns liquid to gel upon contact
- Leak proof with plastic lining to prevent damage to floors
- Quick-dry surface with built-in attractant
- Great for training puppies, assisting aging dogs, or as an alternative to the outdoors for indoor dogs
Providence Engraving Aluminum Pet ID Tags for Cat and Dog
- Premium Quality Anodized Aluminum Pet ID Tags for Dogs and Cats
- To complete your purchase Please Click on customize now
- In the Customization Utility You May Specify Your size, shape, color and add upto 4 lines of custom text on each side Color Options: Blue, Red, Pink, Green, Gold, Silver, Black, Orange or Size Options: Small or Large
- The Cat Face and Paw Shapes Are Embossed on One Side so for the Best Result We Recommend Engraving These Shapes on a Single Side Only
- Small Tags are Approximately 1 inch in Diameter While Large Tags are Approximately 1.3 inches in Diameter. In General, Size small is Recommended for Toy Dog Breeds and All Cats.
Potty Training for Puppies Dog Potty Doorbells for Housebreaking Housetraining plus Instructions Manual eBook
- EFFECTIVE - The most effective way to potty train your dog, whether it is a new dog or puppy this will get your dog communicating without barking, scratching or whining.
- ANY DOOR - Our premium quality dog doorbell comes with a snap, which will allow you to attach it to any door handle or knob
- EXTRA LOUD BELLS - Our bells are loud and can be heard throughout your home. You can use this door and NEVER miss your dog and when they need to go outside.
- FREE BONUS INSTRUCTIONS eBook (SENT BY EMAIL) - Included with this purchase is an eBook which with a few steps breaks down any difficulty with training your dog to communicate with you.
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE - As with all our products, all of our premium products have a 100% Lifetime Money Back Guarantee meaning you never need to worry!
ESK Collection 45" Pet Puppy Dog Playpen Exercise Pen Kennel 600d Oxford Cloth Pink
- Convenient space saving design means it can be stored practically anywhere when not in use
- Simple to Install - 8 Panel Design allows for extremely easy set up and take down
- Waterproof 600D oxford Cloth Material are Made from Durable & Comfortable Breathable, Mesh Material - Maximum Airflow - Security Screen - Easy to Clean 100% Washable,Top quality zippers ensure that your pets will be safe and secure! New improvement: The bottom and top mesh panels are all zippers, If the Velcro your dog are able to escape.
- Approximate Pet Puppy Dog Playpen Exercise Pen Kennel Dimensions: 48" (Diameter) x 25" (Height)
- Brand:ESK Collection,100% WARRANTY - ESK Collection is so confident you'll love their Puppy Dog Playpen Exercise Pen Kennel, if you're not completely satisfied you'll be offered a prompt refund or replacement, no questions asked. Just Please 'Contact Seller' directly (other than Amazon Customer Service) from Amazon Buyer Central against this order for a replacement or refund. Enjoy this absolutely risk free purchase today.
Wellness Soft Puppy Bites Natural Grain Free Puppy Training Treats, Lamb & Salmon, 3-Ounce Bag
- JUST FOR PUPPY: Soft, chewy, perfectly-sized treats specially for puppies made with premium lamb and salmon.
- TRAINING & REWARDING: Great for both training your puppy and rewarding your puppy.
- ALL NATURAL: Contains only premium, all natural ingredients with no meat by-products, corn, wheat, dairy or any artificial colors and flavors.
- MADE IN USA: Backed by the Wellness Guarantee and proudly made only in the USA.
- HAVE YOU SWITCHED your puppy to Wellness Just for Puppy Natural Dry and Wet Cat Food yet?
Fresh Patch Disposable Dog Potty with REAL Grass - As Seen on SHARK TANK
- Real living (hydroponically-grown) grass is a natural attractant and odor neutralizer
- Instinctively attracts dogs making potty training easy
- Perfect for training puppies, assisting aging dogs, or as an alternative to the outdoors for indoor dogs
- FREE dog training consultations available
i'Pet Hands-free Reversible Small Dog Cat Sling Carrier Bag Travel Tote Soft Comfortable Puppy Kitty Rabbit Double-sided Pouch Shoulder Carry Tote Handbag (Blue)
- Machine washable soft Cotton fabric and Polyester, safe and comfort
- This reversible and hands-free sling-style carrier loops over shoulder while the pet rests in the pouch on the opposite hip to keep pet secure and comfortable
- External security hasp to prevent pets jumping out
- Size: 18.5"Lx9"Wx7.8"H. Double-sided usable design holds pets up to 12 pounds for everyday walk and weekend adventure
- Package included: 1 * Pet Sling Carrier Bag
N-Bone Puppy Teething Treats
- Highly Palatable And Ideal For Puppies Of All Sizes
- All Natural And No Artificial Colors Or Preservatives
- Pliable texture is safe for puppy's new teeth and helps soothe teething pain and sore gums
- Great Taste, Completely Edible And Digestible
IRIS 24'' 4-Panel Pet Playpen with Door
5 used from $ 27.78
- The IRIS 24'' Exercise 4-Panel Pet Playpen with Door can be utilized indoors or outdoors; the pet playpen is portable and provides 8 square feet of play space for pets!
- Each panel measures 33.6"W x 24"H; door measurements 14.5''W x 16.5''H; the distance between bars is 1.5''
- Dimensions: 35.25"L x 35.25"W x 24"H
- To create a more spacious exercise pet playpen, add IRIS 24'' Exercise 4-Panel Pet Playpen Panel Add-On, White, ASIN: B0058RA4HE and IRIS 24'' Exercise 4-Panel Pet Playpen Roof, White, ASIN: B006UJGFZY to keep pets safe and secure!
- Made in the USA of durable, heavy-duty molded plastic, and the playpen will never rust
PETMAKER Puppy Potty Trainer, The Indoor Restroom for Pets
- Three layer system odor resistant mat plastic insert which allows the liquid to drain durable collection tray
- Perfect for patios and indoor use
- So easy to clean, just rinse with soapy water
- Great when your pet can't go outside
- Dimensions: 18-1/2-inch by 13.4-inch by 2.17 inch